My full name is Alexander Codd. But as an artist, I go by “A.Codd.”
Born and raised in Seattle, I’ve been a native to the city since 1991. I graduated with a major in history from the University of Washington in 2014, hoping to one day teach. However, as I began painting following my freshman year in 2011, those dreams and aspirations to teach soon shifted towards my love for painting.
Since 2011, I’ve been painting using primarily spray paint and stencils. With influences from Shepard Fairey and Banksy; my initial interest in graffiti transitioned from freehand-writing to stenciling. I focus on maintaining a street-feel with my work with heavy influences from my favorite masters, Picasso, Pollock and Munch. I incorporate their unique styles with Hip-Hop and Pop-Culture to create this hybrid of culture and art; what is painted onto the canvas is my interpretation and appreciation for what seems to be the essence of the subject as well as the culture of the arts both past and present.
SELECT SOLO EXHIBITIONS
2017 – Stenciling Isn’t Art, Gallery 2312. Seattle, WA.
2017 – History of Hip-Hop, Sugarhill. Capital Hill, Seattle.
2016 – Based on a True Story, Ebbets Field Flannels. Seattle, WA.
2016 – Art & Fear, Geddis Gallery. Seattle, WA.
2016 – Stenciling and Everything in Between, Gallery 2312. Seattle, WA.
2016 – Me, Zebra Club. Seattle, WA.
2013 – Untitled, Officials Vintage. Fremont, WA.
SELECT GROUP EXHIBITIONS
2018 - Year One (Anniversary,) Jupiter Bar. Belltown - Seattle, WA.
2018 - UNTITLED, Photon Factory. Georgetown - Seattle, WA.
2018 - Through The Eyes of Art, MoPop Museum. Seattle, WA.
2018 - Winners Circle, AXIS Gallery, Pioneer Square. Seattle, WA.
2017 – Infiltrate & Create, Gallery 2312. Seattle, WA.
2017 – Dozer’s Warehouse. Beacon Hill. Seattle, WA.
2016 – Bombay Sapphire Artisan Regional Showcase, Treason Gallery. Pioneer Square, Seattle.
2016 – Street Value II, Treason Gallery. Pioneer Square, Seattle.
2016 – Street Value I, Piranha Shop. SoDo, Seattle.
2016 – Stencil Art Prize, AMBUSH Gallery.Sydney Fringe Festival. Sydney, AUS.
2016 – This is Everything That One Needs,Jacob Lawrence Gallery. University of Washington, Seattle.
2016 – RAW, Studio 7. Seattle, WA.
2016 – Black Love, E.M.P. Museum. Seattle,WA.
2016 – Black Love, Starbucks Corporate. Seattle, WA.
2015 – Through The Eyes of Art, E.M.P.Museum. Seattle, WA.
2014 – Order of The Sun, Geddis Gallery. Seattle, WA.
SELECT COMMISSIONS (Excluding Private/Individual Projects)
2018 - Special Olympics, Washington. Portrait of Gold medalist, A. Fowler, celebrating Special Olympics' 50th Anniversary.
2018 - Seattle Sounders Organization. Portraits of R. Torres & G. Svensson in commemoration of World Cup 2018.
2018 - Paramount Pictures & Allied Marketing. Painting of "The Shimmer" in anticipation of Paramount's film, "Annihilation."
2017 - SPiN. Seattle. WA.
2017 – VIGOR Ground Fitness & Performance. Dreamers Mural. Renton, WA.
2017 – Seattle Sounders Organization. Commemorative Mural of Seattle Sounders Goalkeeper, Stefan Frei & his championship save vs. Toronto FC. SoDo, Seattle.
2015 - Ford Sports Performance. Bellevue, WA.
- Ebbets Field Flannels. Pioneer Square, Seattle WA. Year Acquired, 2016.
- RECESS. University District, Seattle WA. Year Acquired, 2014.
- Sugar Hill. Capital Hill, Seattle WA. Year Acquired, 2017.
- University of Washington. Seattle, WA. Year Acquired, 2013.
- Urbanity. Bellevue, WA. Year Acquired, 2014.
- Alpha Phi's Red Dress Gala: Funding Cardiac Research at the University of Washington. 2013, 2014.
- Belltown Corridor: A mural project created by Joey Nix & Treason Gallery with a mission to create large scale public art murals in Belltown
- Catholic Cougs. Washington State University. 2014, 2015.
- Food Lifeline. : Provides meals to families in need to the greater Seattle area. 2015.
- Global Brigades: Global Dental Brigades, University of Washington. 2013.
- Hitachi's Auction for "Food Lifeline." 2015.
- NFL's, MY CAUSE MY CLEATS. 2017, 2018.
Collaboration with Seattle Seahawks WR, Doug Baldwin for "SYSA" Southern Youth Sports Association. 2017.
Collaboration with Seattle Seahawks WR, Jaron Brown for "Make a Wish Foundation." 2018.
Collaboration with Seattle Seahawks QB, Brett Hundley for "Hundley Hero Foundation." 2018.
- North Kitsap Sea Hawkers: Feeding Children on Holidays. 2015.
- Rainier Foothills Wellness Foundation. 2014, 2015.
- Seattle Children's Hospital. 2015.
- Special Olympics Washington. 2018.
- Starbucks Black Partner Network. 2014.
- The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. 2013.
- The Treehouse Foundation + SPiN Seattle. 2018.
- The Treehouse Foundation + Jupitar Bar. 2018
- The Unbroken Foundation: Transition program for those with Spinal Injuries. 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.
PUBLICATIONS & MEDIA
2018 - MTN WORLD: Artist Watch List / Recommendation.
2018 - King 5 Evening Magazine. LIVE Presentation and Giveaway of "The Shimmer" painting.
2017 - Aron Yohannes, Meet the Artists Behind My Cause, My Cleats. Seattle Seahawks Football Organization.
2016 – Alex Rozier, Interview, KING 5NEWS. Seahawks Baldwin Calls Gift FromFan All-Time Favorite. http://www.king5.com/sports/nfl/seahawks/seahawks-baldwin-calls-gift-from-fan-his-all-time-favorite/301451956
2016 – KREM2 NEWS. Seattle Artist Perfects Portraits.
2016 – Seattle Mariners Baseball Organization. A Smile Fit for a Museum. (KenGriffey Jr. Public Art) August 5th,2016.
2016 – Seattle Mariners Baseball Organization. Jackie Robinson Public ArtOutside Safeco. April, 15th, 2016.
2014 – JoshTrujillo. Seattle P.I. Capital Hill Block Party 2014.